Tap Water: Microbe Controlling Additives

When drinking water is brought through a treatment plant, disinfectant additives like chloramines, chlorine, and chlorine dioxide are often added. These additives are used in order to protect your drinking water from disease causing organisms that may be present before treatment. But the question is, what can these additives do to your health and body when they are present in the water we drink or bathe in?

  • Chloramines are formed when ammonia is added to chlorine and it is most commonly used to provide further treatment of water as it travels through pipes and into your home. This disinfectant has been used for water treatment for approximately 90 years. Chloramine can cause respiratory problems such as asthma and lung damage; skin problems like dry skin, rashes, burning sensations, chapping, welting, and blistering; burning and dryness of the eyes; digestive issues and gastric cancer; and kidney and blood disorders.¬†
  • Chlorine is not only used for water treatment but has also been used to make pesticides and solvents. It has been used for more than 100 years to “purify” our drinking water. Chlorine can cause some of the following health problems: digestive issues, eye and throat irritation, risk of miscarriage, asthma, liver problems, drying of skin, kidney problems, and weakened immune system.
  • Chlorine dioxide¬†is used to not only control microbes, but has also been known to control tastes and odors. It has been stated that when water treated with chlorine dioxide is ingested by some infants, young children, and fetuses of pregnant women it can cause nervous system effects. Other health issues can include skin and eye irritation, muscle weakness, lung damage, and cell changes.

Take a moment to consider the possibilities of what you’re currently ingesting or putting on your body by drinking tap water and bathing in it daily. It’s hard to imagine that water, which we consider to be so great for our health, can actually be harming our bodies due to the chemicals used to treat it. The only way to remove these harmful chemicals is to use a strong filtration system either for your drinking water or for your entire home. How many different chemicals are you ingesting with each glass?

This entry was posted in water filtering system and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.